Florida Reading Association
Governmental Relations Legislative Issues – 2007
The Florida Reading Association (FRA) is an organization of reading
professionals dedicated to promoting high levels of literacy for all by
improving the quality of reading instruction, disseminating research and
information about reading.
FRA’s 6,000 Florida local members include classroom teachers, reading
specialists, consultants, administrators, supervisors, and university/private
Reading is a key component to success in school.
FRA is committed to quality reading instruction provided by
experienced, well-qualified reading professionals.
- Reading as a Priority
- Keep reading a priority in Florida.
- Teacher Quality
- Teacher Quality should be the focus in hiring new teachers.
- Appropriate Funding for the classrooms and salaries is needed.
- Credentials and talents should be considered when compensated.
FRA Continues to
have an Emphasis On:
- Multiple Approaches
- Local decision-making in the use of multiple approaches to teaching
- Viable Reading Programs
- Continuity for viable reading programs as evidenced by annual
learning gains and trends over time.
- Integrated Teaching Practices
- Effective reading instruction to be achieved through integrated
- Certified Literacy Leader
- A certified literacy leader who supports classroom teachers in each
- Reading Materials
- A wide selection of reading materials for every elementary, middle
and high school classroom and media center in Florida.
- Professional Development
- Professional development in proven, effective best practices for