Middle School Reading Teacher Of The Year
Middle School Reading Teacher of the Year
The Middle School Reading Teacher of the Year Award will be given to an individual who has made significant contributions in the teaching of middle school reading. Special consideration will be given to candidates who are active members in their local, state, or national ILA organization.
Nominations are to be solicited from each school district through direct mailings to FRA district directors and local council presidents who will be asked to make nomination forms available to others. (It is suggested that the councils form a committee to select one nominee from the district. An information letter will also be sent to the superintendent.)
To be nominated, a person must meet the following criteria:
- Has made a positive impact on student reading.
- Applies innovative reading techniques in a classroom setting.
- Promotes reading outside the school.
- Has had advanced study in reading (college courses and/or inservice work shops).
- Has published articles, or made presentations (Inservice workshops and/or conference sessions).
- Provides photocopy of membership cards in a local reading council, FRA, and ILA or letter of verification from the membership chair of the council.
The councils must select their nominees and return the completed nomination form and supporting documentation to the Scholarship and Awards Chairperson before August 31. Winners will be announced and honored at the FRA Annual Conference.
The winner will receive
- Registration to attend the FRA Annual Conference
- One night’s hotel stay at the conference
- a plaque will be presented to the winner at the conference.
Letters will also be sent to the superintendent of the districts of the winner, and the winner will be featured in the FRA Newsletter and The Florida Reading Journal
Reading Teacher of the Year Award Nomination occurs through local councle and school districts.
Middle School Reading Teacher of the Year Winners
2014 Donna Born Meigs Middle School, Okaloosa County
2013 Monica Prather David C. Hinson Middle School, Daytona Beach
2012 Rowena Wood-Griffin Okaloosa County